The Office since inception provides the following service such as:
- Domestic violence
- Sexual abuse
- Child abuse
- Breach of contract
- Matrimonial causes/Divorce
- Unlawful detention
- And many more
FUNCTIONS OF THE OFFICE OF PUBLIC DEFENDER
Section 2 (1) of the Office of Public Defender Laws of Lagos State 2011 provides that: The functions of the OPD shall be to:
- Have responsibility for the provision of legal aid service and advice in accordance with OPD laws.
- Receive complaints directly from individuals or by referrals from government agencies, public institutions private institution.
- Investigate complaints or referrals made to it.
- .Prepare necessary legal documents, negotiated settlements, or give legal advice necessary to fulfill the purposes of the Law;
- Endeavour to resolve matters brought before it by way of alternative dispute resolution.
- Publicize its services by informing and sensitizing the public about its service.
The OPD shall refer complaints brought before it to other governmental agencies, on governmental Organizations or any other body that shall assist it to perform its functions under this law.
The OPD shall from time to time organize symposia, conferences, educational activities, workshops and exchange programmes on legal aid and related matters in furtherance of its functions under this law.
Office of the Public Defender deal with criminal and civil cases, in petitions and court matters. Petitions come through individual complaints, WAPA, referral, Attorney General (AG), CMC, DPP, Governor’s Office and the Deputy Governor’s Office.
The OPD had been very effective and efficient in handling various cases; they don’t only estimate effort but always proffer solution that will yield positive result on every case.
The OPD have qualified professional Lawyers who are ready to work irrespective of what the case may be.
OPD also have the Social Workers who work in collaboration with the counsel to solve the problems of rescue mission, police reports, and Public interest and to carry out proper investigations in every matter.